Certified Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) Safety Specialist (CH2ST)
100% online, self-paced course format
Course Credential: IASHEP- Certified Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) Safety Specialist (CHSSS-H2S)
Note: Refresher certification is required every three years to maintain professional credential.) Recertification is $150
IASHEP is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free of all forms of discrimination
Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) is known as an insidious killer and goes by a number of unsavory names: sour gas, meadow gas, stink damp, Devil’s Breath, and sulfureated hydrogen. It is a colorless gas that can be routinely found around decaying organic material and in some oil and gas operations. It smells like rotten eggs at extremely low concentrations, but it quickly, though temporarily, kills the sense of smell at higher concentrations. (This property gives a false sense of security to the unsuspecting.) H2S is a highly-hazardous gas which rapidly renders its unfortunate victims unconscious, paralyzes the respiratory system, and then causes death in a matter of just a few minutes.
However you can work safely in H2S environments if you are properly trained, utilize appropriate engineering precautions, and are equipped with the proper personal protective equipment.
It is essential that employees who work in oil & gas petroleum and natural gas industries, utilities, research and development area, laboratories, transportation, paper/pulp/food processing, chemical manufacturing, tanning industries, waste disposal and other industries where the hazard of Hydrogen Sulfide Gas can be present.
Student Learning Objectives:
· Understands the requirements of American Petroleum Standard 49 Recommended Practices for Recommended Practice for Drilling and Well Servicing Operations Involving Hydrogen Sulfide.
· Physical and chemical properties of H2S gas and the health effects it can have on the body
· Understand the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for Hydrogen Sulfide exposure controls knowledgeable on how to respond in the event of a Hydrogen Sulfide Exposure H2S Gas exposure.
· Learn the skills, knowledge, and techniques to develop and provide site-specific, technical skill-level Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) training programs.
- American Petroleum Standard for H2SPhysical and chemical properties of H2S
- Safe work procedures for hydrogen sulfide
- Federal and state regulations and consensus standards
- Contingency and emergency response plans
- Methods of detection and monitoring
- Human physiology and respiratory protection
Who Should Attend This Course:
- General Industry & Construction workers
- Maintenance workers
- Managers & Supervisors
- Safety Managers,
- Safety & Health Committee Members
- Industrial Hygienist
- Environmental Professionals
- Risk Managers,
- Oil Drilling and Refinery Workers
- Sanitation Workers
- Utility Workers
Students completing the course must take a proctored final exam. A score of 80% on the final exam is necessary to receive your personalized certificate of completion. The student gets three (3) attempts to pass the course.
After signing up for this course IASHEP will send you a link to the LMS class