Certified Laboratory Safety Course
100% online, self-paced course format
Professional Credential: IASHEP-Certified Laboratory Safety Specialist (CLSS)
(Note: Refresher certification is required every three years to maintain professional credential. Recertification fee is $150
IASHEP is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free of all forms of discrimination
More than 500,000 workers are employed in laboratories in the U.S. The laboratory environment can be a hazardous place to work. Laboratory workers are exposed to numerous potential hazards including chemical, biological, physical and radioactive hazards, as well as musculoskeletal stresses. Laboratory safety is governed by numerous local, state and federal regulations. Over the years, OSHA has promulgated rules and published guidance to make laboratories increasingly safe for personnel.
There are several primary OSHA standards that apply to laboratories as well as other OSHA standards that apply to various aspects of laboratory activities. The Occupational Exposure to Hazardous Chemicals in Laboratories standard (29 CFR 1910.1450) was created specifically for non-production laboratories.
The course has two major objectives:
- To instruct laboratory technicians, clinical laboratory technicians and chemical technicians in OSHA 29 CFR 1910.1450 and regulated and accepted ways of safeguarding themselves, their co-workers, and the environment from unintended effects of the chemicals they work with.
- To instil in laboratory technicians, clinical laboratory technicians and chemical technicians the idea that regulations are meant to help protect them, their co-workers, and the environment to the degree society and governmental agencies have decided appropriate.
Course Topics Include:
- INTRODUCTION TO LABORATORY SAFETY
- Protection Against the Odds
- Safe Laboratory Procedures
- Chemical Transfers
- Heating Methods
- Compressed Gases
- Personal Protection
- Cylinder Handling
- Emergency Equipment and Procedures
- Fire Extinguishers
- Eyewash Fountains
- Emergency Showers
- Spill Prevention and Cleanup Kits Emergency Procedures
- Chemical Safety and Environmental
- Regulations Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- Laboratory Chemical Storage
- WORKING SAFELY WITH TOXIC CHEMICALS
This course will be valuable for:
- Anyone Who Works In A Laboratory
- Safety, Health and Environmental Professionals,
- Safety & Health Committee Members
- Government Inspectors
- General Industry and Construction Personnel
- Safety & Health Professionals
- Training Managers
- Industrial Hygienists
- Environmental Professionals
Students completing the course must take a proctored final exam. A score of 80% on the final exam is necessary to receive your personalized certificate of completion. The student gets three (3) attempts to pass the course.
After signing up for this course IASHEP will send you a link to the LMS class